2014 RDBN Business Forum
Connecting Business for Opportunity and Growth
- Host Community: District of Fort St James
- Major Sponsor: Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako
- Date: September 12 and 13, 2014
- Location: Nak'albun Elementary, 1180 Lakeshore Drive
Having the right strategy for business growth can bring prosperity to your company, and assist with making valuable connections, but knowing what opportunities are up and coming can sometimes be a challenge for rural and Northern communities. Choosing the wrong strategy or failing to pay attention to current trends can have costly consequences for your business. The 2014 RDBN Business Forum gives business owners and non-profit organizations from across Northern BC the opportunity to learn about growth potentials, trends, and make the connections needed to successfully take advantage of what prospects the future holds.
Learn how to:
- Focus your business strategy on the right growth opportunities to increase the value of your company
- Learn what opportunities exist and how best to make the connections for your business
- Find solutions to the most up-to-date challenges and opportunities faced by businesses in our Region
- Learn effective techniques in creating business connections to benefit you and increase the value of your business
This year’s Forum will feature:
- Networking Opportunities
- Presentations and Panels from Regional Business
- Workshop for Non-Profit Organizations
- Individual meetings with Presenters
- Gala Dinner
- Free licensed childcare available. Please contact the District of Fort St. James at 250-996-8233 to register.
September 12th: industry focus
- 9:00am Welcome & Opening Ceremony
- 9:15am First Nations as Right Holders & Implications of Recent Court Decisions
- Learn about implications of recent court decisions made in the Tsilhqot'in decision regarding First Nations rights and title. Lawyer Michael Lee Ross will share his interpretation of what this decision means for industry and resource development in BC.
- 9:45am Retention and Recruitment for Business and Industry
- Initiatives Prince George’s Executive Director Heather Oland brings value and practical advice for industry and businesses wanting to learn how to recruit and retain excellent staff.
10:30am Refreshment Break
- 10:45am Community Forest Panel
- Learn about how Community Forest agreements are negotiated and implemented and how your business or industry can benefit alongside your communities.
- 11:30am Speed-Networking Session
- This fun and fast-paced session will help you to create valuable contacts while promoting your business and industry interests.
- 1:00pm Energy Panel
- Learn about bio-energy and LNG projects and make the connections to take advantage of these growing energy sectors. Presenters include Trans Canada, Spectra Energy, and Fort Green Energy.
- 2:00pm Forestry Panel
- Learn about the forestry industry in our region. Panelists will explore approaches that are being taken to help balance environmental, archeological, and commercial interests, and what the future holds for forestry in North Central BC. Presenters include the Ministry of Forests, Land and Natural Resources, Avison Management and EcoFor Services.
2:45pm Refreshment Break
- 3:00pm Mining Panel
- Learn about the major mine projects in operation and development in the region. Panelists will address how communities and businesses can engage in the various stages in the life of a mine. Presenters include Mt. Milligan Mine and New Gold – Blackwater.
- 6:00pm GALA Dinner
- A business-casual approach to making the connections and contacts which provide value and opportunity to businesses in the region.
September 13th: business & non-profit focus
- 9:00am Education Hour
- Learn how education and training programs provide opportunities for independent businesses and industry.
- 9:45am Liability & Insurance for Business and Non-Profit Organizations
- Integris Credit Union and Sun Life Financial present on various liability and insurance aspects geared to independent businesses and non-profit organizations. Find out about various benefit programs, and make sure your coverage is right for you.
10:30am Refreshment Break
- 10:45am Social Media & Marketing
- Would you like to have more of an online presence but you’re concerned about how to manage online public comments? Do you want to know better where to focus your marketing efforts to create the biggest impact? How do you take advantage of online trends? If these are questions you wonder for your business, or community project, be sure not to miss this presentation!
- 11:30am 3D Printing & Technology Applications
- See a live demonstration of a 3-D printer in action, and learn how this forward thinking technology is changing the way we do business. Presenter John Makowski.
12:00pm Lunch (3D Printer Demo continues)
- 1:00pm Crowd Sourcing & Fundraising (concurrent session for non-profits)
- Find new and innovative ways to generate income for your upcoming community project or organizational needs. Presenter Tom Bulmer of Community Futures Stewart Nechako.
- 1:00pm Entrepreneurship Panel (concurrent session for businesses)
- Practitioners and supporters of entrepreneurs will share best practices and advice for those involved in business ownership. Find out about programs, opportunities, and innovations relevant to help make important business connections.
- 2:00pm Dos & Don’ts of proposal writing (concurrent session for non-profits)
- NDI will provide valuable advice on how to write winning grant proposals and take advantage of available funding programs. Presenter Northern Development Initiative Trust.
- 2:00pm. Small Business Finance Panel (concurrent session for businesses)
- Presenter will provide information to help you make smart money choices when it comes to borrowing for your business.
- 2:45pm Wrap-up and Closing Remarks
Value Added Components:
- Book one-on-one meetings with presenters!
- Great door prizes including cirque de soliel!
- Trade-show booths and information sharing!
- A list of procurement websites for major projects proposed to take place across the region!
- Daycare services available during the Saturday sessions (pre-booking required, subject to registration numbers)
Accommodations in Fort St. James
|The View Hotel
|Box 69, Fort St. James, BC, V0J 1P0
|309 Stuart Drive
|Rivers Edge B&B
|Box 879 Fort St. James, BC, V0J 1P0
|New Caledonia Motel
|Box 970, Fort St. James, BC, V0J 1P0
|167 Douglas Ave
|Tannis’s Place B&B
|Box 219 Fort St. James, BC, V0J 1P0
|2255 Stones Bay Road
|Chundoo Motor Inn
|Box 130, Fort St. James, BC, V0J 1P0
|295 Stuart Dr E