PUBLIC NOTIFICATION IS HEREBY ISSUED BY THE REGIONAL DISTRICT OF BULKLEY-NECHAKO REGARDING A FLOOD WATCH ADVISORY ON THE NAUTLEY RIVER NEAR FORT FRASER, THE NECHAKO RIVER AT VANDERHOOF, AND RISING WATER LEVELS ON FRANCOIS LAKE, AND FRASER LAKE
A Flood Watch Advisory was issued by the River Forecast Centre for the Nautley River near Fort Fraser and the Nechako River at Vanderhoof. The Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako is advising residents in the Vanderhoof, Nechako River, Fort Fraser, Nautley River, Fraser Lake and Francois Lake area that there is a potential for flooding. Please check the BC River Forecast Centre website (http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca) for up to date information.
It is important to note that during increased river flow situations it is difficult to predict if and where flooding will occur. Therefore, the Regional District is requesting the public to refrain from recreating on or near the Nautley and Nechako Rivers.
Due to rising water levels on Fraser Lake and Francois Lake there is a potential for flooding in low lying areas.
Situation updates, when received, will be aired on your local radio station and posted on the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako website www.rdbn.bc.ca
FLOOD PROOFING CONSIDERATIONS FOR RESIDENTS:
- Prepare a list of your personal property;
- Prepare an emergency kit for each family member, with enough supplies for up to one week;
- Put a grab and go bag together;
- Move livestock, hay, and equipment to higher ground;
- Move personal property to higher ground;
- Plug or cap off all basement plumbing;
- If eaves troughs are connected to the house sewer system, disconnect them and re-channel the flow to a point more than 1.5 meters from the building’s foundation;
- Label and move Hazardous Materials, such as weed killer, etc. to a dry area;
- Move buoyant materials from the basement to lessen the potential for damage;
- Know that your drinking water may become contaminated, follow instructions of the Health Authorities;
- Disconnect electrical appliances;
- Securely anchor propane tanks, and;
- Move all vehicles to higher ground.
For further flood proofing information go to http://www.embc.gov.bc.ca/em/floods/index.html
If you require sand or sandbags please contact the Regional District of Bulkley Nechako at 250-692-3195 or 1-800-320-3339 or www.rdbn.bc.ca – Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm.
After hour Emergency Calls should be directed to 1-800-663-3456.
Bill Miller, Chair